Thursday, February 26, 2009

How to become a good public speaker



Are you afraid of messing up in front of many people? Do you get stage frights? Calm down! Take a deep breath! Breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out.

Now, think about the purpose for which you are giving this speech. Remember that people are listening to your thoughts. They want to know about things you believe and the way you think. Don't worry about messing up. It's a human thing to do. We're all like that.

Look at the crowd. Think that you are talking to your friends. Friends are people who you share your thoughts with, without thinking about their reactions. So do that with the audience! Don't worry about the outcome. Just give it your best shot!

5 comments:

  1. I think this piece was logical and really nice. I like the sentence structure of the first paragraph. It is shooting advice at the reader like breathing in and out. I think that was great because it shows how public speaking is just another "thing." My favorite line was how "it's a human thing to do." I think that got straight to the point and nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very good. I like how you are giving advice about public speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOOWWWW!!!!!
    This piece was so good, that it deserved a wow with 2 extra O's, 3 extra W's, and 5 exclamation points.
    I like the part where you say "Breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out." I know many times when someone is very nervous they can even forget to breath. When the forget about breathing, they will faint, but once they faint, their autonomous nervous system regain control, so no worries!
    Next time I give a speech, hopefully I remember what you wrote.
    The last part, "Just give it your best shot! " rings true, and I feel that I will listen to this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is really good. I know from actually singing in front of people its really nerve wrecking at times and you need to tell yourself to calm down. I think this is good advice because your letting the person know that mistakes are humanly things to do but even if you do just keep going.

    and to your question Im going in for Deaf education/Special ed

    ReplyDelete
  5. You give some actual advice in theis piece, which is helpful for someone giving a speech, but try to add fun and interesting anecdotes (which don't have to be true). Don't forget, we're basing our pieces on Moore's peice, and she is really focused more on her story than on the advice.

    ReplyDelete